Thursday, February 23, 2012

"The state has no business in the hard-drives of Canadians" - Rick Mercer (2012)

Another well-put, intelligent "rant" by Rick Mercer about online privacy.



Libraries have fought long and hard for open access to online information, and for the privacy to access it. This also helps to lower the digital divide between the economic classes. Now the federal government wants to take that right away from Canadians through laws that go against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I still believe that the government should have to have a warrant to access private or confidential information. This ensures an (hopefully) unbiased third-party to ensure that there is adequate justification to gain access, and then the Conservatives can't just go fishing. Just because we want privacy DOES NOT mean we are criminals. Well said Mr. Mercer, well said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Stephanie (Nads here). I just watched Rick's video the other day and was in complete agreement with him. And yes, I am glad libraries can give me access to research materials that I otherwise would never see.

Is it just me or is the laugh track in the video very weird? haha

Stephanie said...

Glad you liked it too Nads, I usually (almost always) agree with him.

Didn't notice the laugh track. I thought that he taped in front of a live audience? But I guess not for the rants.